The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Saturday, September 23, 2017

A play reading

Sometimes you're invited to spend a few days working on a play you know you'll never be asked to perform in any future incarnation. A couple of scripts have come my way that seemed to be written for Nathan Lane but obviously he's not going to available to workshop something that's still in early draft form so I get to play some smashing roles in rehearsal rooms. Occasionally people even see me!

Todd Graff (below) was in the original Broadway cast of BABY opposite Liz Callaway (and got a Tony nomination) before he directed the very funny movie musical CAMP. His sister is Broadway star Ilene Graff, his cousin is Tony winner Randy Graff and his niece is my lovely friend Nikka Graff Lanzarone, also a Broadway mainstay.
Todd has written a marvelous semi-autobiographical play about his dad Jerry Graff who was a member of the singing group The Pied Pipers and musical director for Nat King Cole's tv series. The lead role in Todd's play is something of a marathon entailing four songs, three sex scenes and two languages so I was thrilled when I was invited to play it at the reading. Danny Burstein had done the previous workshop so I had big shoes to fill.
Gordon Greenberg directed, another happy first for me. He's off to London to direct BARNUM at the Menier Chocolate Factory.
Musical director Drew Wutke is an old mate so it's always a joy to work with him.
I'm a huge fan of Brandon Uranowitz who played my son. He's been nominated for two Tony Awards and we've both played the same roles in TORCH SONG TRILOGY and FALSETTOS so I feel a bond!!
I was supposed to be in love with this man which wasn't hard at all. Dave Thomas Brown (recently in AMERICAN PSYCHO on Broadway) is a wonderful actor and singer and the loveliest person you could meet.
And what a delight to finally work with darling Erik Altemus. We had both appeared in MR. MAGOO'S CHRISTMAS CAROL but didn't share any scenes. I love him to bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment