The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Monday, April 18, 2016

Ciao Cleo

Well, our Roman epic has come to an end after three short weeks and what a joy it was. The most wonderful company, a great script and, of course, at the head of it all a New York legend, the great Charles Busch.

I know I'll stay friends with all these ratbags, such as the divine Jen Cody and super hunk Joe Zaso.
Lots of celebs came to see us in the tiny Theatre For The New City including Tommy Tune, Bette Midler, Joyce Van Patten, Phyllis Newman, Robert Osborne (host of Turner Classic Movies on TCM),  Howard McGillin, Barbara Barrie, Amanda Green, Joanna Merlin, Douglas Carter Beane, and an actress I have absolutely worshipped since I was a callow youth, the fabulous Lee Grant.

After the show we talked for ten minutes before she realized I'd been in the play she just watched. I suppose it's a tribute to my Lon Chaney-esque transformations but strange nonetheless. likewise,
Bette Midler congratulated me on my performance without any sign of recognition that I'd been in PRICILLA, the same show she produced on Broadway. When I told her, she asked me what part I played. I really must stop being so....incognito.
We were also given wonderful caricatures by the gifted John Carter Wolfe
One of my favorite moments backstage was when Charles suddenly remembered he hadn't combed out a wig he wears towards the end of the show. He frantically hunted for a wig stand then suddenly called to Andy Halliday (who played the Soothsayer) to put the wig on his head.
The result was a cross between Edie Adams, Jill St. John and Didi Conn.

No comments:

Post a Comment