The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Friday, March 21, 2014

Day 2 J-Ville

OK. So there is downtown Jacksonville. It appears to be largely deserted, like a scene from "On The Beach". I did see a man in an office window high up in one of those buildings, pressed up against the window staring out into the street like a trapped animal. I kid you not.
This is the view from where I am staying. I decided to go exploring around 10a.m.and perhaps have breakfast somewhere in town.
There do not seem to be any buses in the immediate area but there is this Skyway track which at least gets one into the ghostly Downtown area. The Skyway consists of two small monorail cars which play the first four notes of the FUNNY GIRL overture when the doors open ("Nicky Arnstein...").
I took the Skyway to the final stop and found a bus terminal. I decided to go the beach and have breakfast there. I waited for 45 minutes for a bus to Jacksonville Beach before I realized I was waiting at the wrong terminal. After finding the right bus, I took it to the end of the line (another 45 minutes) only to find I now had to catch another shuttle to the beach. That took another 15 minutes but arrive I finally did!
There was sand and water.
And a fishing pier.
And a boardwalk with several beer gardens. But nowhere to have breakfast. Even though it was now about 1.30 p.m. And again, no people.
There was a strange sort of bandshell.
And this clever piece of artwork.
 
Representing the only people, real or otherwise, in the immediate area.
I gave up looking for a café and decided to walk along the highway in search of food. At last, at 2.15 p.m. I found exactly what I was looking for!
Joyfully, I skipped across the road and fell through the door, to be greeted with the blood freezing words, "Sorry, honey, we're closed." Thus, there was nothing to do but wait for the shuttle (20 minutes) that would return me to the bus (45 minutes) that would take me to the Skyway ("Nicky Arnstein...") that would take me back downtown. I headed for a rather exciting looking riverside mall called  Jacksonville Landing.

But the shops were closed. In mid-afternoon.

I couldn't ask about places to eat because the information centre was closed.
I decided to use the Men's Room, but....
There was, in fact, only one place open in the immediate area...
 
So it was back to the Skyway once more ("Nicky Arnstein...") which deposited me back at my hotel around 5pm. Just in time for the restaurant to open in the lobby. So, for breakfast I had....dinner.
And more Key Lime Pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment