The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Monday, March 3, 2014

Oscar Night

Director/Choreographer Jeff Calhoun threw his fourth annual Oscar party at his local Upper West Side hangout "Henry's" last night with Donna McKechnie as guest of honour. We watched the awards on a big screen while we enjoyed a splendid dinner and Jim Caruso hosted a cabaret during the commercial breaks. I was seated next to fellow Aussie (well, New Yorker-cum-Aussie-turned New Yorker again) Natalie Mosco and opposite Sondheim veterans Harvey Evans and Teri Ralston. At the table next to me were a group from the cast of NEWSIES and a more heartbreakingly beautiful collection of young people I have never seen in my life. I had a five hour "Death in Venice" moment.
Henry, the titular owner of the joint, welcomes our motley crew.
Jeff Calhoun adjusts the mike for Donna McKechnie
Among her selections was "You Could Drive a Person Crazy"

Then Pamela Myers belted "Another Hundred People"
Michael James Scott from ALADDIN and Ashley Brown (from my Goodspeed HELLO, DOLLY) sang "A Whole New World")
Cory Cott, the star of NEWSIES, sang "I'd Rather be Sailing"
Then the killer kids from NEWSIES rocked the house with "King of New York"
The exquisite Laura Osnes, who just left the title role of CINDERELLA, recently did a workshop of DAMES AT SEA so she charmed us with "The Sailor of My Dreams"
I can't recall what Carpathia Jenkins from AFTER MIDNIGHT sang but she brought the entire room to its feet.
Constantine Maroulis from JEKYLL AND HYDE sang "This is the Moment" accompanied by composer Frank Wildhorn.
The original ANNIE, Andrea McArdle, sang a lovely medley of "Look For The Silver Lining" and "Tomorrow".
Finally, Donna and the company led the room in a rousing "What I Did For Love".
(L-R) Michael James Scott, Donna McKechnie, Andrea McArdle, Pamela Myers, Jim Caruso, Jeff Calhoun, Laura Osnes, Cory Cott & Ashley Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment