The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Friday, November 4, 2011

The Charlaps Encore

We trailed them to the 92Y a few months ago and tonight pianist Bill Charlap and his mum Sandy Stewart brought their  brilliance to the Algonquin. In the NY Times review this morning Ms Stewart was called "the queen of calm".
To further quote the Times crit, the program drifted from topic to topic: dancing (“I Was Telling Him About You,” “Change Partners”), memory (“Something to Remember You By,” “I Thought About You,” “Solitude”), rain (“Isn’t This a Lovely Day?” “Singin’ in the Rain”) and the cosmos (“Stars,” “When You Wish Upon a Star”).   How I wished tt had been with me to hear his favourite song "All The Things You Are" given the Stewart/Charlap caress.
I took C. David Johnston as his early Christmas present because I knew he'd fall in love with the elegance of the Charlaps. My new buddy Joyce Breach, an ace jazz stylist herself, was in the audience and of course there had to be at least one "small world" moment. The guy checking our coats was an Aussie  who had married his American girlfriend and moved here. His father is voice over supremo (he called "Come on down!" on WHEEL OF FORTUNE) and ex-FAMILY FEUD host John Deeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment