The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Thousand Gowns

Twas a night of high glamour at the Hilton in NYC last night for the 27th annual NIGHT OF A THOUSAND GOWNS to benefit GMHC and GLAAD. I was an "Honorary Co-Chair" along with 32 other people which meant dusting off the tux and introducing part of the entertainment, in this case the singer Karen Mason. I invited my dear friend Steve Schepis to join me on the podium and wrote some witty repartee about how he had played Young Bernadette in PRISCILLA, a character which I haughtily pretended not to remember despite his jibes that I was OLD Bernadette, but between us EVERY night in PRISCILLA was a night of a thousand gowns.
 Our banter was greeted with scattered laughs and applause but mostly silence as everyone was concentrating on trying to eat their mozzarella salad without spilling it on their expensive satin frocks.
We were very fortunate to be on in the first fifteen minutes because after that everything went to hell and the audience just talked loudly through everything.
 
The opening number was a medley from FOLLIES which was mimed to ten minutes of selections from the cast album and the gowns were gorgeous.
After a lovely dinner, smart entertainment and a gander at the silent auction items I began to wilt and slunk off after three hours, only to discover it was the first intermission and there were two more segments to go! I hope everyone had a truly splendid night and I'll update this entry as more photos become available.
Karen Mason
taylor dayne
Christian Borle

No comments:

Post a Comment