The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Friday, January 21, 2011

Annie McGreevey at the Laurie Beechman Theatre

Annie McGreevey (pictured with actor Peter STRAUSS)  played Marta (“Another Hundred People”) in both the Broadway and London productions of COMPANY and created the role of Donna in THE MAGIC SHOW. She played 18 characters in  THE MOONY SHAPIRO SONGBOOK; Lily St. Regis in ANNIE,  and was standby for Mrs. Lovett and the Beggar Woman in the Broadway revival of Sweeney Todd . She recently appeared in the ENCORES! production of Marc Blitzstein's JUNO.  Nationally: roles ranging from Ado Annie in Oklahoma! to the lead in Jacques Brel..   A graduate of LACCs School of Cinema, and an alumna of AFI's Directing Workshop for Women, Annie is a founding member of the Alliance of Women Directors.

Here is another artist whose career I've followed since I was a teenager but have never seen "live", and what luck to find her presenting her first cabaret show in more than twenty years for two nights only at the Laurie Beechman. She credits her friend Sandy Faison (the original Grace Farrell in ANNIE) for convincing her to resume her singing career after all this time. Looking fabulous in simple black slacks, white shirt and tight red velvet jacket she still has a rangy powerhouse voice but a divorce after 24 years of marriage to actor Bob Gunton appears to have left her sadder and wiser. Her act, "The Heart of the Matter", deals with every facet of her love life from her first kiss at the age of six to her first audition at the age of ten (she sang "The Man That Got Away") to the present day which finds her singing "Non, Je Regrette Rien" as her closer. Like all the best cabaret performers she presents each song with all the richness and detail of a one-act play. Effectively accompanied by piano, double bass and violin the  highlights included a strong opening with "I Got a Name", a knockout "Music That Makes Me Dance" from FUNNY GIRL, the funny/poignant "I'm Back in Town" by Melanie Safka, "For No One" by Lennon & McCartney, "Heart of the Matter", a song new to me by Don Henley, Mike Campbell and J.D. Souther about the healing powers of forgiveness, and the finest interpretation of Stephen Schwartz's "For Good"  we've ever heard. TT, who was completely unfamiliar with Ms. McGreevey's work, was most impressed and I was delighted to overhear her say that she has plans for a new show using Irish music. It's good to have her back in the spotlight.



9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely -- and spot-on -- piece about Annie McGreevey at the Laurie Beechman. Like you, I had never seen Annie in a musical performance of any kind until January 14 at the Beechman. (Fortunately, I did see her 2009 tour de force performance in ROSE, the one person Holocaust drama by Martin Sherman.) I, too, was floored by Annie's range of interpretations and stylings -- from the whimsy of "The French Song." to the heartache of "For No One." I only wish I had been around to see her as Marta in COMPANY. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! What made the night so special was not just Annie McGreevey's strong voice but her facile ability to play with characters. She goes from one eclectic and beautiful song to another with a rich attachment to and deep knowledge of the material. She's not just singing the songs for you, she's living them.
    A beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie is a magnificent actress and she infused truth into every song she sang. To tell the truth, I didn't know what to expect and my partner and I were bowled over by her heart, skill, warmth and charm on stage. Just delightful and highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting insight to the song choices for Annie's club act. I walked away thinking I still didn't know much about the real Annie, but after your background sketch of her marriage to Bob Gunton (didn't know that), I totally understand the arc to the evening -- and love it even more. Her director, Kathy Conry, certainly brought out the best in her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie really entertained me. I kept on thinking to myself "What stamina" she sang each song with such feeling and heart. I could not helping relating to every song and the full circle that a woman's life can encompass. I certainly could relate to it. I just loved everything about it. I was captivated! You were great Annie and I will keep a look out to when I can come see your next performance. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this beautiful review and the lovely comments that follow it. I am so touched by your kind words. I want to second Dakota Dee concerning Kathleen Conry. Kathy is a great director and friend. She had a direct hand in all aspects of "The Heart of The Matter" and deserves much of the credit for it's success. I am blessed to have Fran Minarik's wonderfully inventive arrangements and musical direction, as well as the fine musicianship of Heather Bixler on violin and mandolin, and Dennis Christians on bass. I am thankful to Alan Michael Smith for his beautiful costumes, and Joey Pier for the great lighting and sound. I'm looking forward, in the near future, to dates at The Laurie Beechman Theater and will keep you all posted. Thank you again for your continued support, Annie

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great performance at a very nice and affordable theatre. Thank you Annie and I can not wait to see you on stage again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annie McGreevey...I knew she was a terrific actress, but, wow, I'd no idea she had such a powerhouse of a singing voice to go with it! Her cabaret show displayed great versatility and a keen sense of acting each song, and bringing each one alive - jewel after jewel - which just whetted my appetite for more. Thanks Annie, for a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie's at home on the stage. I worked with her in Company and was always amazed at not just her powerful voice but her joy and assurance in communicating. She's like a force of nature - the beautiful waterfall kind not the tsunami kind :)
    I thought the last song was brilliant - no regrets - and her choice of songs fun and surprising. Love you Annie and your work!

    ReplyDelete