The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Tuesday, January 4, 2011

We are here HOME at last!!!

Yes, Mrs Rouse! We are here! And as an arrival present the pilot of the plane took us from the northern tip of Manhattan, as close as close, all the way down the west side of the island..the Chrysler Building, the Empire State, Ground Zero with that atrium I photographed 3 months ago and then out into the Hudson past the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, over a bit of New Jersey then Governors Island and into La Guardia. And the day was golden and azure with frozen ponds and banks of snow left over from last week’s blizzard. It was a glorious sight and to know that this was to be home for..how long?
Earlier that morning I had no idea. We had to go through US immigration at Toronto airport. That dawned on me as we were lining up with our bags. I spotted signs bearing the stars and stripes and logos of an eagle and I put two and two together and got ... "They are processing us NOW” ! It was sort of too late to be nervous and I just breathed as much calm as I have been rehearsing all week. And it worked. Poor Sheldon, having gone through his entry seamlessly, stood by as the immigration officer rang his supervisor and ordered me back to the red line and made me do endless attempts at the digital hand prints and asked me what I was going to do while I was in  New York ( I was so in the moment I said, “Nothing!” )  Anyway I was hoping for a six month visa after which I knew I’d have to leave then return later. But I told the truth and said I’d like to stay until October. He asked what date and I had totally forgotten when Sheldon’s current contract ends. So I took a stab at “The 25th”  And when he
 had sought out his superiors and they had stared at me over their glasses he finally stamped every piece of paper in his immediate vicinity and as handed me my passport he said, “I’ve made it November 30th”  !!!!!!! It’s not seemly to leap over the desk and kiss an immigration man so I kept myself nice but in my head I licked him all over. So now I can stay until I have to return to Oz for a play I’ve been cast in.  I am going to live in New York while my fella is kicking up his heels in A Broadway Show!!  Ain't that terrific?
And below some snaps of the most hilariously glorious madhouse that Sheldon booked on the net! We love it.
 This is Mame's fifties period just before she settled on Yul Ooloo.

There is a loft in the bedroom

and a loft in the lounge

It is rumoured that Judy Garland donated this dressing table from the set of "Star is Born"

We hadn't even unpacked when Mr Entertainment was ordering cable


We can see half a tree and what more do we need?

It won't stay like this for long as it is to become the Sheldon and Taylor work station

We plan a Versailles  fancy dress ball this next weekend.  The strange wire thing on the wall is a  tea light installation. Sheldon lit it and half way through the night flames shot almost to the roof engulfing us all in a pyrotechnic demise to rival The Towering Inferno. No more of that, thank you.

From the pillow just before lights out. Thank you, Lord,  for a day out of the box and for giving us this tiny piece of madness.

3 comments:

  1. That is one amazing apartment!! It looks like a life size version of Ken's dream home. I hope you are both very happy there.

    Congratulations on getting the part in the play, TT!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year guys! TT that is terrific news about your visa, the immigration guy must have liked the look of you :) obviously he has good taste but pray tell what about the fate of Ken, the twins, Miss Ebony and their new friends? Hopefully they were they able to smuggle in via the hand luggage undetected by the x-ray what with the lack of fingerprints they might not otherwise have made it through! We should all hate to be deprived of Ken’s adventures in NYC especially now he has a glorious madhouse to live in. I’m sure he would have his eye on one of the lofts for a party to welcome the new queens to the ever expanding troop! Here’s hoping they made it through ok… xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 2011 chaps!! My that apartment looks perfect. Definitely fit for a Broadway Star and his smart, witty, and clever partner. I have so enjoyed my regular visits to this site. We had Xmas at John O's and he came here for New Year. We are all looking forward to MARCH!! I trust that NYC is warmer than Toronto and wish you both well. Love an magic, Ross

    ReplyDelete