The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Full Circle

Nick Adams had an old school friend in the audience tonight: Nikka Lanzarone, who was one of the leads in the ill-fated Broadway musical WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN. I found her waiting near the stage door with her father Ben and mother Ilene Graff, a Broadway performer of note herself. (Ilene, Ben & Nikka pictured below)
I introduced myself to Ilene as we had something in common. She created the role of Cleo in the Broadway musical I LOVE MY WIFE in 1977. I played Cleo's husband Alvin in the Australian premiere in 1982.(We even made a cast album. I once got a royalty check for $2.17)
After much hugging and reminiscing about that show with Ilene, I commiserated with Nikka on the early closing of WOMEN ON THE VERGE after 69 performances. She was understandably disappointed as she felt that audiences were beginning to build. I could sympathise. The plug was pulled on I LOVE MY WIFE in Sydney after less than a month. Such are the vagaries of the show biz.

No comments:

Post a Comment