The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Queen is dead..long live the Queen

A full double page obit for the last real queen of the movies.

I was reminded of the day  in 1963 when I went to see the much anticipated "Cleopatra" in a tackily renovated flea pit on Bourke St, Melbourne, which had been renamed  and draped in hideous gold polyester and rickety fake plastic columns in honour of the film. This was the first time one paid the exorbitant amount of one dollar for a ticket. When I dragged my aged 18 year old body back home, numb from the  torpor of it all  I told my Dad of the awfulness of the film, the scandalous cost and the fact that I could not afford the price of the fifty cent souvenir brochure. He said in his driest Lancashire brogue,  "A dollar to see that rubbish? You should have bought the programme and sat on that!"  

And in the same issue an article by ex-pat Ben Widdicombe covering the "Priscilla" after show
bash.

and here is Sheldon's winning drag name

Sheldon's other zinger is Wanda Ringwitz !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment