The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Friday, February 4, 2011

The Celebration of A Failure is a Smashing Success



I (tt) had the immense pleasure of meeting Robert I Rubinsky at Natalie Mosco's apartment about 10 days ago after a day of  them rehearsing his play, "Bobby, the Middle Aged Celebrity". The two of them were unstoppable in their banter which never stayed on any subject for longer than ten seconds. And in that they met in college and performed on Broadway in the original cast of "Hair" there were infinite stories.. a lot of them unfinished. Bob kept threatening to go into the show and do bits but Natalie stopped him and I am so glad she did cos it would have spoilt the surprise of tonight's presentation at the Workshop Theatre Company.

This wonderful, crazy and touching show follows the life of a man who sees his life in show business heading south but not without a fight. He lovingly creates the cast of his life from family to celebrities, from his childhood in the fifties to the present day and leaps from lunacy to pathos as quickly as a mild case of Tourettes allows.
Mix Shirley Bassey, Stephen Hawkins, Pee Wee Herman, Jack Benny and Mick Jagger and you are only just starting to get the flavour of this immensely endearing performer. He gleefully bemoans the gradual degeneration of the physical body from hair loss to sagging stomach and dropping arse in wonderfully witty numbers. And his voice is a truly stunning and youthful instrument.  Songs like "I Want To Be Justin Bieber", "I'm Your Chicken Neck" , " I Get Around" and "What Happened To My Face?" are gems of pastiche. His takes on the rappers and ephemeral new teen angels are funny and horrible at the same time.  And he is a wonderful mover!
Ms Mosco has directed him with wit and dexterity and Mr Spooch, his droll accompanist who is excellently played by Larry Spivack,  provides stunning music on a variety of instruments. This show is a goer and I loved it because Robert I Rubinsky loves life and it comes out of his very pores and drenches us all.

  Mr Spivack, Ms Mosco and Mr Rubinsky at the post show discussion

How he makes you feel

4 comments:

  1. This is absolutely thrilling to me because Mr. Rubinsky and I were partners for about 8 years in our thirties. I always knew he was hugely talented and because we were in love I was lucky to have his positivity directed at me. I am so happy that this show has finally been born as it was many years in the making. Way to go Robby! Hope I get to see it! -Rick Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO GLAD TO HEAR THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT THE SHOW- ROBERT AND I WROTE SOME GREAT SONGS TOGETHER BACK IN THE DAY ON THE UPPER E. SIDE AT MY APT. CONGRADS-ROBERT YOU LOOK FABULOUS DAHLING-LOVE AND BLESSINGS-SANDY TODER

    ReplyDelete
  3. So to speak... I love Robert I., and I know his show will be a huge success. He is a wonder and a visionary...and one of the Funniest people I know. Plus, we share the same birthday. Many blessings and much love to a consummate performer and friend! xoxo Charlo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Ms Mosco looks as stunning as ever... doe the woman age at all?

    ReplyDelete