The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Thursday, February 17, 2011

Scheffel Hall 3rd Ave

Much of the section of 3rd Ave which is our neighbourhood has been knocked down and replaced by modern shops and apartments above in the 70's and 80's styles. But there are gems.


Built in 1894-5 it served what was then primarily a German area as a beer hall and restaurant.  In the 20's it was named The Rats Cellar and O.Henry wrote in it/of it in some of his stories.  It was later a jazz club, Fat Tuesdays and now houses a dance studio. It is a classified building.

4 comments:

  1. As I waited in the airport for my plane to Melbourne to check out the latest plays plus see Mr. Ashley's Liza show I thought mmm now what could I do for 1/2 an hour so I came and checked out your photos...

     Tony, I Loved the framing of the empire state shot from the bank door and the interior of the  Astoria was gorgeous. The green chair with the tree and snow in gramercy park had me saying wow and I think your best shot so far although the recent clock shot was excellent.    I laughed out loud at the " who cares" on kens face and the  " osteo  on the red fire station"  shot. The museum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of the american gangster also got my attention let us know if it's worth a peek. The dockers denim shot is a keeper I want it on my office wall! I loved your little blurb about your shoes i could relate I also hesitated before I threw away my walking shoes that had walked all through Europe. My fav shot... You on the stairs in times square... A very smartly dressed gentleman indeed! Ah the nights out... The plays, the exhibitions, the fashions I love your life... And with that my flight is called for boarding.. Keep up those great shots Mr!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Posting a comment from an IPhone is clearly beyond me xx

    ReplyDelete