The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Friday, February 11, 2011

waddya say, old friend?

This is one of my brand new boots.(pictured: tt's best foot forward)
This morning when we left the apartment to breakfast at Neptunes, a Polish American diner on 1st Ave where we have fallen in love with Olena, an ever cheerful Ukrainian sweety,  I tried as usual to adjust my foot into my faithful Redback boots. Over the last week or so the uppers have been falling apart and little teeth of canvas have worked their way through the lining and have begun to saw away at the flesh making walking less than cushy.. I took the boot  off and tried to rip out the offending piece  but only made it worse so I knew it was time to say goodbye to my faithful companions.

 They have trodden so many streets....the Via Republica in Rome, the Folk Park in Oslo, Princes St in Dublin, Marie Antoinette's little village at Versaillles,  Melbourne's Collins St and Hollywood Rd in Hong Kong,  They went up the Eiffel Tower and down The Royal Mile in Edinburgh. They have walked along the promenade in Morecambe and across a meadow by the cliffs of Penzance;  up Piccadilly  and down Fifth Ave.  They have trodden in gum and shit; roses and clover and they polished up a dream every time. To look at them they were still quite handsome.  But their time had come.
So I went into the shoe shop very quickly and bought the Blundstones as fast as I could. As the clerk threw my old Redbacks into the bin I said, "Bye fellas. Thank you"    Now they wait for their last journey.  To a landfill site in New Jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment