The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Thursday, July 12, 2012

Lost life?


(tt) My new Mac is very good I have to admit. I do not know one thousandth of what it can do. Nor do I much care. However I should have cared about immediately transferring the contents of my Kingston memory stick as soon as I bought it in January. Otherwise I would have been spared the potential horror of what happened yesterday.
 Now that we are on the way to buying our little home all sorts of information  stored on my Kingston memory stick need to be accessed. Like Tax file numbers and passport stuff as well as the scripts of all sorts of brilliant plays that one day will make us rich. I plugged it in and flash .... raspberry .....phht.   It was corrupted, leaving the precious cargo to lostness and limbo..forever!!
What to do?  Then I remembered the little repair company that  had tried to fix my old burnt out notebook just before I returned to New York. Sheldon and I set off for their premises to find it....empty, gone, moved on, disappeared and lost. All I knew was the name of the firm. I popped into a mobile repair shop hoping that they might know the number to ring for directory assistance. 3 Chinese girls looked at me as though I was speaking Chinese. Finally one went out to the back room and a little voice yelled out 1 2 2 3. So I called and got the new address and off we trudged. "They will know how how to access the information from the sick stick and transfer it onto a new stick and  one day my plays will live forever and make us rich."  When we got there the lovely man plugged it into his Mac then groaned and murmured,  "Nothing there, mate" AGGGGGGHHHHHHH!
Then I remembered I had donated the notebook they couldn't fix as a repository for spare parts or whatever that is in cyberdork speak. "They can find it and access the gold from the hard driveway and retrieve the plays that will live forever and make us rich." "Sorry, mate. We threw all that stuff out in the move." AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! But then something made me go through my bag and look in the zip siding of the camera section and there amongst the cough lolly wrappers was a lone black Xepo Memory Stick. What the...? Could it? Was it? Did I? Yes!!! I had copied the copy of the data..including all the plays that will live forever and make us rich!!! I asked the man to marry me I was so happy
Here are a couple of pictures which have nothing to do with the above drivel. A Glebe wall.
An installation under the Ultimo freeway



2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain tt. I've lost my computerised life 4 times in the last 14 years thanks to 4 different hard drives corrupting and dying. I'm so glad you managed to find your other memory stick and retrieve all of your data!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You prevailed! Kudos! It's incredibly aggravating to lose such important documents and information, so I know you were more than relieved to retrieve it. While technology can be wonderful and convenient, it can also be a heartless bitch when it decides to randomly break on you. Hopefully your next memory stick will have a long, uncorrupted life so your plays will live forever and make you rich! :)

    ReplyDelete