The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Wednesday, August 8, 2012

They're Ba-a-a-ack!!

FORBIDDEN BROADWAY is back in New York at the 47th St. Theatre. Subtitled ALIVE & KICKING, the first act contains some old favourites (ANNIE, THE LION KING, ANYTHING GOES) but the second half really takes off with the new material.
My personal faves were the skewering of Matthew Broderick and Kelli O'Hara in NICE WORK, Bernadette Peters in FOLLIES, Tracey Bennett in END OF THE RAINBOW and the authors of BOOK OF MORMON.
It was a packed house for a Wednesday matinee preview and the (elderly) audience seemed to get all the gags. The couple behind me actually said as we were all shuffling out, "That was very good. Different. Unusual."

3 comments:

  1. Question for Sheldy if I may. I stumbled across your blog a while ago and really liked reading your back-catalogue of posts. I had a very odd question for you though - I don't imagine you happen to know if the fabric of Bernadette's beautiful Act Two opening frock (blue with roses) was custom made by the designers do you? I've been trying to find it with no luck at all - I want to have some shirts made out of it as it's just so beautiful!

    Enjoy the NYC sun!
    r

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rich, the fabric wasn't custom made but the dress was designed and made up for me to replace another outfit while the show was in Toronto. I remember the designer draping different swatches of fabric over my shoulders while we played the scene in technical rehearsals because they wanted to see which one looked best under the lights!

      Delete
  2. Great I'll carry on my search - there's just something about that beautiful blue with roses that stinks of the 1950s and I love it - so I can masculinise it into a shirt! I've unfortunately never seen the show but I saw a photo of you in the frock and just adored the fabric. By the time I discovered the existence of the musical, it had closed on Broadway and London long before, which is a shame. From the few snipets I've seen, it looks really quite good - and I do think it was a very important show that needed to run - it carries a vital message that is more important now than ever. What a wonderful responsibility to deliver that night after night.
    r

    ReplyDelete