The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Sunday, April 29, 2012

In a rock box on Staten Island

(tt) I wanted to see more of Staten Island. 



Here is some of what I saw on the ferry trip over. Some ghastly shots are probably because of shooting through filthy bus and ferry windows. Others are just plain incompetence
This is one of the bridges on the ferry.  I nearly missed the boat taking this and was yelled at!!

 Leaving the ferry terminal

Part of the wonderful old terminal building

The southern end of Manhattan. Freedom Tower continues rising on the left


  A flock of seagulls followed us. This one was called Lorraine

  If Disney had produced this statue she would not be compensated for R S I
 Staten is no longer an island in the strict sense because of this bridge

The first time Sheldon and I went over we walked from the ferry to a rather seedy traffic-laden street and turned back. This time I decided to hop on a local bus and go from one end of the island to the other. Well, the bus was as old as those you see on documentaries about villages in the Andes and the roads were like a giant's acne scars. By the time I got back my fillings had all come out and I had to jump up and down to get my eyes back in focus. So the photos reflect that a lot.

These few were taken from the bus after leaving the ferry. They reflect the most citified of the island before suburban settlement took over the farms and woodlands that were here right up to the sixties.
 Detail on a derelict cinema




The central road of the island is part suburb, part shopping mall and part woods, albeit filthy and litter strewn. But occasionally you see  original stone  farmhouses, converted into apartments,  next to cheap bargain stores, petrol stations and faux mansions and townhouses.


Beyond hair..what?


 These next few are what is left of Richmond Village once an isolated community



 Attempts are being made to restore some of the buildings

 Then as soon as this pleasant aspect is reached it all gets ugly again.
An abandoned amusement centre with dodgems and miniature golf all going to god



And here is a shot of The Staten Island Boat Graveyard. I took the first from the careening, shaking bus and the others are filched from the net.



The bus had only two passengers on it by the time we came to the end of the route..me and this old lady who vowed and declared she would never do that trip in her life ay-gin!
The end of the route was in fact the shopping mall in Tottenville..which I can only assume was once a hamlet. The local mattress shop looks like a barn blown up 10 times
 Target  had a shop floor as big as a football field
My companions at the bus stop back to the ferry


This is the haunted Kreisher mansion with its holdings for sale at 11.6 million to be a housing development


Here she is close up (not my work). Currently a restaurant. The ghosts are murder victims from a family feud.....burnings and ghast.

Leafy burbia

 Back in a little town square about a mile from the ferry


  A 19th century street full of old shops and flats


Back on the ferry.
Some pilings. I love pilings





I meet myself coming back

  Still in there. Hope her deo doesn't let her down





And back in civilisation

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog and absolutely outstanding. You can do something much better but i still say this perfect.Keep trying for the best.
    Green Mattress

    ReplyDelete