The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"Never look back... " but then sometimes you have to

(tt)   I went into town to do odds and sods  The house I last lived in in Melbourne before I relocated to Sidders in 1979 is still on Lygon St surrounded by new blocks of flats. It's days are numbered.
One of my housemates was called Ingrid and she smelt of honey.
A mile or so south is Carlton. What would the original tenants of this old bluestone think of this?



These are right out of "The 17th Doll"


This lovely old building is diagonally opposite where I learned how to try to act..The Pram Factory

 And this is the pub. once called Stuarts, where the political philosophies and ideological battles of the Australian Performing Group were exercised. Friendships were made and broken in here.

 While pot and cannabis and heroin were being used and dealt in the upstairs rooms of the Pram you could look directly across the road at -  The Cop Shop. Decommissioned and empty.

This was the building the cops saw then
If there were any cops inside today this is what they would see.
A shopping centre.

This was me back then

Some more lovely terraces on Drummond St in the same block as The Pram. Mostly restaurants and offices.




 Here is La Mama. A bid to sell it and demolish was thwarted and a number of people, including me, bought shares in the bricks and mortar to ensure its survival. Maureen Hartley, my host, has been an administrator here for over 30 years



This grocers has been here for  yonks

This was "Genevieve" an Italian restaurant named after the 1950's English film about vintage cars. I had spaghetti here for the first time. I was alone and I didn't know how to eat it so I fled.

And here is the picture theatre, now closed, that everyone referred to as The Bug House.

 Looking North  along Lygon and there's Tiamo which in fact was called Tamanis before that. We Pram Mob went nowhere else to eat.
 I don't think the fly curtain has ever changed

Had the best risotto in my life at The University Cafe (yet to be captured) with Paul Byrne. Then went to see the Fred Schepesi film, 'The Eye of the Storm" with perhaps the most unpleasant collection of characters in one story I have ever encountered.  Great film.  Judy Davis remains my favourite living actress.
Caught these windows at the tram stop after the show.

1 comment:

  1. Wow TT that was like a travelogue of my youth! LOL I'm a Brunswick boy. Welcome home and hope to see you at some time while you are here, lots of love to you, Tom xxx!

    ReplyDelete