The Adventure Continues


TT in the Blue Mountains and Sheldy in New York.

Culture Shock.





Monday, March 12, 2012

dancers over 40

(tt)  Sheldon sent me to a wonderful AIDS benefit at the Alvin Ailey Citigroup Theatre.
 Headliners were Carol Lawrence and Chita Rivera who were Maria and Anita in the original West Side Story. Miss Lawrence hosted and did a very silly audience participation number around "Top Hat".

Chita was a participant on a 'Remembering Chicago' panel in which the cast members of the 'Cell Block Tango' told hilarious and touching stories of that first production. Miss Verdon's presence was very much  in the air.
This is the original Cell Block line up and they had the ladders at the back of the stage while the discussion went on.

My favourite piece was a  fantastic song called "Not Even If I Try" by Kevin Oldham which was sung by Jose Arturo Chacon and danced by Aviad Arik Herman. It was a heartbreaking piece about a man whose partner has gone ...and it left me a sodden wreck.

Harvey Evans showed me to my seat. And I saw and recognised (not by name- Sheldon told me later) one of the original dancers from West Side Story...... Bert Michaels. What a blast!
The Alvin Ailey is a wonderful building. You look up and see rehearsals in progress
 
 
The posters aren't half bad
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment